Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question on DRP

From: Sarah Stevens <sarah () STEVENS-TECHNOLOGIES COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:23:11 -0600

Dear Tim,

Before deciding whether you need a cold site, a warm site, or a hot
site, you have to do a BIA or Business Impact Analysis on your
particular environment and determine what type of events your
institution is at most risk for, and then determine if that type of
situation occurred, what processes are most crucial to business
operations to recover.  The answer to that may be that you can handle
3 days without any operations, or it may be 3 hours without any
operations.  The decision for which kind of site really has to depend
on your particular situation and what your key business
analysts/administrators believe to be the best situation for your
organization.

Many times before in these forums, I have recommended review of NIST
documents.  Once again, NIST offers terrific guidance on the process
of DRP/BIA/BCP.  I also have a 10 minute questionaire that we use when
we design a business continuity plan with our clients.

Best of luck with your DRP and let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Sarah E Stevens
Stevens Technologies, Inc
Hi,<br><br>
just wondering for those universities who have in place a Disaster
Recovery Plan (DRP):&nbsp; <br><br>
I would be interested in knowing:<br><br>
1) Are you planning on a cold, warm or hot site and why<br><br>
2) If a cold site, what arrangements are in place for expeditious
purchase/acquisition of equipment<br><br>
3) What recovery time have you nominated for key systems<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Tim<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Tim Lane<br>
Information Security Program Manager<br><br>
Information Technology and Telecommunication Services<br>
Southern Cross University<br>
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480<br><br>
6620
3290&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
size=1>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 02 6620 3033&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
size=1>http://www.scu.edu.au</a>