Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Barracuda Spam Filter

From: Matthew Keller <kellermg () POTSDAM EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:19:43 -0400

The SpamAssassin website (http://spamassassin.apache.org/), clicking
"Docs" (http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc.html) yields several
walkthroughs at the bottom.  The Amavis HOWTO
(http://www.amavis.org/howto/) page has dozens for using Amavis +
Spamassassin w/ numerous other systems.

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 13:44 -0500, Parker, Ron wrote:
Exactly. We went with an outsourced solution several years ago when spam
really exploded and we just didn't have the staff time or energy to take
on a project involving open source software on Linux. I would have
greatly preferred to do it ourselves but it just wasn't feasible. This
fall (pending budget approval) I'll be looking to replace our outsourced
solution with something better and cheaper because we are greatly
expanding the number of e-mail accounts we provide and the outsourced
solution  will be too expensive. Barracuda is one of the things I'll be
looking at. Some of the information I've seen the past few days make it
sound like they have some work to do in terms of the way they provide
support and how up to date their software loads are. I like their idea
because it SHOULD save me some grief over building the box myself and
keeping it up to date.

What would really be nice would be for someone on this list to provide a
cookbook on how to set up one of these Spam Assassin boxes from scratch.
Something probably exists so just a pointer to it would be fine. I agree
that these things are not hard to build if you have a few pointers to
guide you. Unfortunately, most of the time the information you need is
on 30 different web sites and isn't always up to date. Then, if you
aren't an experienced Unix sysadmin, you get stuck because a file
permission isn't right or there's a simple error in an install script.
The clustered setup that someone mentioned this morning sounds
intriguing and it would be interesting to see what's involved in doing
that.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College