Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Barracuda Spam Filter

From: "Parker, Ron" <Ron.Parker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:37:22 -0500

We use an outsourced provider so we are somewhat like your situation. I
leave my own e-mail server MX records in our DNS as a failover. If
something happens to our provider or we decide to discontinue them at
some point, my other MX records are already circulating through the DNS
system. This makes it easier for mail to continue to flow. The firewall
blocks access to those internal mail servers but that is a two minute
job to change in the event of a problem. You definitely want them
blocked at the firewall. The firewall logs show they would get hammered
by spammers as soon as they were unblocked. Our internal e-mail server
protection mechanisms are no longer up to the task of fighting off
spammers in today's conditions. That's why we use the outsourced
service.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College