Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Barracuda Spam Filter

From: Justin Sipher <jsipher () SKIDMORE EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:58:52 -0400

Add us to the list of schools who are very happy Barracuda users.
However, I will share a recent story which dampers our enthusiasm
slightly.  Our single unit (model 600) had a hardware failure
recently.  It was in this process that we learned that we had a new
"single point of failure" in the e-mail system.  One major problem at
the point of the failure is that all mail in the quarantine at the
time of the failure was lost.  Although most was SPAM, I do know that
I had at least one valid e-mail in it.  It was between when I
received the e-mail quarantine summary and when I actually went to
retrieve/delete the message when the failure occurred.  To prevent
this in the future, we've bought a second one and will have the two
clustered for redundancy.  The second problem we had is that they
**appear** to be a victim of their own success.  At the point of the
failure they were out of stock for a replacement even though we were
at the upgraded "instant replacement" level.  In our case it took
three days to get a replacement and then it was a 400 model to hold
us over till they could get a 600.  Not ideal.

I do think they have learned from this (and maybe other) incidents
and knowing everything I know now, I'd still buy another one, so the
up-side is pretty high to overcome those shortcomings.

...Justin
  Justin Sipher
  Chief Technology Officer
  Skidmore College