Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Inbound Default Deny Policy at Internet Border

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:05:11 -0700

Gary Flynn wrote:
Michael Sinatra wrote:

Gary Flynn wrote:

We're looking at implementing a default deny
inbound policy at our Internet border this
summer.

Anyone have any concerns or experiences they
would like to share?

I don't really believe that a default-deny policy has a place at the
_border_ of a research university.  It may make sense at certain
administrative department boundaries (which gives you a smaller
vulnerability perimeter anyway) where there might be sensitive data.
But where the mission is research and innovation, I just can't accept
that we're doing anyone (even ourselves) a favor by blocking ports at
the border.

Out of curiosity, do you allow inbound MS-RPC and netbios at
your border? SNMP?

No to both.  But that's a far cry from a default-deny policy.  And I can
assure you that my comments are based on our experiences with just these
few port blocks.  But I also understand the motivation to block; I just
don't think the limited effectiveness of such a policy is worth it.  I
also think it makes more sense to push this down to the department
level, and then let people opt in, rather than forcing them to opt out.
 With the virtualizable (I doubt that's really a word. but...) firewalls
being produced by cisco and netscreen, that becomes easier to support.

directed toward getting around border blocks, via port-80 tunneling, ssh
tunneling, IPv6, and end-to-end IPSEC.  Terry Gray points out that, in
such a world, some sites may take the rather bizarre stance of banning
end-to-end encryption, so they can inspect traffic.  Sigh.

michael