Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL Certificate Comparisons

From: Jeff Giacobbe <giacobbej () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:15:06 -0400

All-

Someone on the EDUCAUSE CIO list passed along this little gem of info on
a company called ipsCA.

http://certs.ipsca.com/

Apparently educational institutions can get a FREE 2-year "wildcard" SSL
cert that can be applied to any number of servers in their .edu domain.
And ipsCA claims that their root CA is already in the latest versions of
IE, Mozilla, and Firefox.  It seems too good to be true, but we're going
to be checking into it anyway...

Regards,

Jeff Giacobbe
Director of Systems, Security, Networking
Montclair State University

Fretz, Kerry wrote:
Hello,

We have always used Verisign certificates on our web servers but we are
getting extremely frustrated with their pricing and billing issues.
We’ve been shopping around for other SSL certificate providers.

Does anyone have any feedback on your experience with other SSL providers?

Kerry Fretz

Manager, Network & Systems

Philadelphia University

Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/groups/.