Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Advice on Network Security Policies[Message Scanned]

From: Jimmy Fikes <fikesj () WBU EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:18:32 -0600

After reading Nancy Flynn's book, E-mail Rules, A Guide to Managing
Policies, Security, and Legal Issues (AMACON, 2003), we implemented an
e-mail retention policy.  We were also motivated by an unfortunate
allegation against a person that potentially threatened to harm both the
individual and the university. Flynn makes a persuasive argument for message
archiving. It is not inordinately expensive or difficult and may someday
prove to be less expensive than a lawyer.

Jimmy Fikes
Director of Information Technology Services
Wayland Baptist University