Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit Vendors/Cost Estimates

From: Ken Shaurette <kmshaurette () MPCCORP COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:50:25 -0700

Mike, if you would like to contact me off list I’d like to talk to you in more detail about your needs and estimates
for the kind of work you need.

As was noted by Chris at Lansing, the key is being able to adequately scope your needs.  The kinds of things that
increase a vendors cost the greatest are estimating for the unknown factors.  Efforts that take a significant amount of
effort such as blind penetration assessments, application vulnerability assessment, and social engineering or database
vulnerability assessments tend to increase cost the quickest.  The other time consuming component is interviewing
members of your team as well as others at the college or university to establish the “tone at the top”, essentially the
people aspects of policies, work practices and security program.  Wireless can increase the effort if it is necessary
to travel between several locations, especially if there is distance to be covered in order to assess access points and
wireless vulnerability.  You can see a very broad range of cost depending on the scope.   For example you may have
10,000 workstations, but they are all imaged alike, it does not make a lot of sense from a cost standpoint to scan
every device, especially if you have the images locked down.  You may however want to do semi-random sampling
especially targeting specific departments.  This can result in a lot less IP addresses to be scanned and can save you
dollars.  A “pure” technical vulnerability assessment using various scanning tools I’ve seen for much less than $50k,
but it depends on your scope.

Ken

Ken M. Shaurette, CISSP, CISA, CISM
MPC Solutions (a division of MPC, LLC), HYPERLINK "http://www.mpcscorp.com/"www.mpcscorp.com

kmshaurette () mpccorp com
(262) 523-3300 x60486

National Security Awareness Day - October is CyberSecurity Month - Awareness does not end when the day is done!!