Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Security Audit Vendors/Cost Estimates

From: Mike Pasquerette <mpasquerette () HOOD EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:16:40 -0500

We have recently upgraded our network switches and added wireless access
points in our dorms to control user's access to the network right at the
edge. We are evaluating Enterasys N3 switches and RoamAbout Access Points
with their Policy Manager and Dragon IDS for our ResNet. So far we are very
pleased with the results, however we would now like to have a 3rd party come
in an perform an onsite security audit to determine how well our vendor and
network admins have things locked down. We want to verify security
restrictions for both wired and wireless access from our resident portion of
the network to the rest of our network. Does anyone know any vendors in the
DC metro area who offer this kind of service and might have experience with
a college or university?

For those who have done a similar activity in the last year, what should we
expect a vendor to charge for such an audit? Thanks in advance for any
advice and comments on your experience.

Mike Pasquerette

Network Analyst

Hood College