Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Local Admin Rights

From: Matt Kirchhoff <mek () PDX EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:45:15 -0800

Quoth Michelle Mueller on 3/15/2005 7:24 AM:
We do this same thing.  By default, no one has local Admin rights.  The
only ones who are given Admin rights are the ones who are running
programs that will not work without them,

I'll add that I've been very successful in getting "Admin required"
software to run at the User level. Tools such as SysInternal's  RegMon
and FileMon are helpful in isolating the ACLs and Registry keys that
require modification to function with reduced privileges.

As a sidenote, Aaron Margosis has an excellent blog about running under
Windows with non-Admin privileges:

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/

I'm still fighting this battle, quite unsuccessfully. As Gary Flynn
noted, the biggest part of the war is political.

--
Matt Kirchhoff
Information Technology Consultant