Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password - User Self Service Resets?

From: m-powe <m-powe () UMN EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:07:07 CST

I would discourage the use of the SSN for authenticating the person or
using any part of the SSN for the reset password.  You can ask people to
volunteer their SSN, but I do not believe you can require it for this
business purpose.

It's an issue for us, too, and we're moving toward collecting other
data to aid in the authentication process.

Mark

Mark M. Powell
Office of Information Technology
OIT Data Security
University of Minnesota
1300 S. 2nd Street, Room 548e
Minneapolis, MN 55454

612-625-8598
952-237-0306 (cell)
612-625-0303 (fax)
http://www.umn.edu/datasec/security
Passwords are like toothbrushes--change them often and don't share
them.