Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Strange port 135 probing, possibly a bot

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:34:24 -0600

At 03:26 PM 11/18/2004, Steven Alexander wrote:
The SysInternals'  Process Explorer will tell you everything that is
running on the system and what files, registry keys and DLLs each process
is using:

<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

SysInternals' TCP View will tell you which processes are connected to each
TCP/UDP endpoint on the system:

<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

If you have a system that is not revealing the trojan software, you may
have "hide-out" software as well as a trojan. Try capturing some of the
file activity to see if you can locate the trojan.

Yesterday, I discovered several systems at ISU that were obviously
compromised by the IRC crowd but were using a "hide out" tool that is
similar to hackdefender. One of the systems was a server that the owner
desperately wanted to clean. This system was so thoroughly blocked that
tcpview could not see the port even though I could see it remotely with
nmap. Netstat could not display the port either. All of the trojan files
were hidden as well. When I ultimately found the files, Windows Explorer
could not display them. None of the usual AV software and anti-spyware
software could see the tools either.

I ultimately captured a few seconds of file activity with file monitor from
sysinternals.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

in that log I found activity that illuminated the path to the trojans, egg
drop scripts and more. It appeared that the hide-out software did not block
file monitor.

When you find the directory that the hide-out software is using, you will
find that the only way to inspect it is a command prompt. Apparently, the
cd command can't be blocked by hide-out software. You can "cd" to the
directory and find the tools.

Once I found the tools and tried to xcopy them to my system, McAfee
VirusScan identified one of the programs as "hideout". It was revealed to
the onaccess scanner during the copy.

I hope this helps.

Steven Alexander
Programmer Analyst