Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: explorexp.exe

From: "Borne, Chris" <cborne () REGIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:31:55 -0700

 We started seeing this a week or so ago.  If I'm repeating someone's
post, I apologize.  I haven't had time to keep up with my lists this
week.

It causes large spikes in network traffic, and has been disruptive
sporadically.   The list of files we found related to this are:

bling.exe
secmgr16.exe
secmgr32.exe
fukerz.exe
o.
o.bat
svhost.exe

O has an IP of a remote location, the worm appears to start a DDoS on
it.  These IP's vary form PC to PC.  This seems to use the sasser
vulnerability.  When infected, the PC's appear to have a firewall, and
we could not push patches out to them.  I think the worm is referenced
somewhere by one of the major AV vendors as bling.  I was not a primary
player on this one, and that's all I recall on this one.  If you're
stuck, email me off-list and I can have someone get to you with how
we've been fighting this.

Chris Borne
Systems Manager
Regis University