Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Broadcast DOS Attacks

From: Tom Klimek <tklimek () ND EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:15:15 -0500

We have had similar problems in the past with Synfloods, including
spoofing valid address within the subnet of the infected host. We
utilize snort IDS and also have a sniffer running on our border and our
infrastructure built to easily monitor any vlan by simply spanning the
appropriate vlan on a distribution switch. Also most of these attacks
are triggered by IRC so you may consider blocking as well.

I would suggest the use of anti-spoofing acl's on all subnets. This
would prevent the host from spoofing random addresses (It will not
prevent spoofing valid addresses on that subnet). A sniffer monitoring
outbound traffic on the border should quickly identify the top talker
and indicate the subnet leading to the appropriate vlan to monitor
(again top talker) yielding the mac address of the offender. At this
point block the offending host by mac address at the edge switch.

It's not an automated solution but you can quickly restore off-campus
access.

Access control lists prevent spoofing of non-valid addresses(Cisco):

interface VlanXX
 description Sample Interface
 ip address 172.16.58.250 255.255.255.0
 ip access-group vlanXX in

ip access-list extended vlanXX
 permit ip 172.16.58.0 0.255.255.255 any
 permit udp any any eq bootps
 deny   ip any any

Filter by mac address (Cisco)

Cat OS block
Set cam static filter xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx vlan
Cat OS clear
Clear cam xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx vlan

IOS
mac-address-table static xxxx.xxxx.xxxx VLAN xxx drop

Tom Klimek
Manager, Network Engineering
University of Notre Dame
204 Security Building