Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Broadcast DOS Attacks

From: Ralph Fasano <rfasano () RISD EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:42:20 -0400

Hi all... I'm new to this list so if this has been answered already I
apologize... BUT

Here goes...

For the past several weeks we have been the victim of several High
Broadcasts Attacks to our campus.  Our firewall gets inundated and
basically shuts down all other traffic both inbound and outbound,,, thus
appearing as if the network is down.. In fact that is what gets reported
to our help desk.  Sometimes these attacks last for 10 20 minutes...
other times several hours.

Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms and what are you doing to
combat same????
After several hours of investigation, we have identified and picked up a
student computer to investigate whether the Windows Updates are current
and if our (campus license) Norton anti Virus is up to date.

Does anyone have any automated tools that would help id and quarantine
any such computer?// The broadcast traffic is through the roof!!! :-(

thanks

Ralph Fasano
Associate VP Office Of Information Technology
Rhode Island School of Design
rfasano () risd edu