Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Windows Machine Remediation

From: Theresa Semmens <Theresa.Semmens () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:05:52 -0500

At NDSU, we adopted a "two strikes" policy.  When a student owned machine
becomes infected or compromised, we allow the student to attempt to clean
and patch the machine. The helpdesk is available to give advice and how-to
points.  Once the student has done this, we re-instate them on the network.
If they become blocked a second time within 96 hours of being reinstated,
they must take the machine to a commerical establishment and bring the
receipt to the help desk before we will re-instate them on the network a
second time.  So far, it has worked quite well.  Our only problem is with
those establishments who only run a virus scan on the machines and do not
check for evidence of compromise.

Theresa Semmens, CISA
NDSU IT Security Officer
North Dakota State University
Fargo, ND 58101
701.231.5870
Theresa.Semmens () ndsu nodak edu

Less than 6 seconds
The time it takes to compromise a PC, according to Vincent Weafer, the
senior director of security response at Symantec Corp.
Source: The Age

This electronic mail message may contain privileged and confidential
information.  If the reader is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication and any attached files may be strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify
Information Technology Services contact by telephone at 701-231-5870, or by
reply e-mail, and permanently delete the message from your system.  Receipt
by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any privilege
or immunity.