Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: Q1 Labs: Network Security for Colleges and Universities

From: "Jefferson, Ronnie V." <RVJefferson () ST-AUG EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:27:36 -0400

thanks for the info!

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU]On Behalf Of GREGORY SEIBERT
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:13 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] FW: Q1 Labs: Network Security for Colleges and
Universities

I can't speak for this particular product, but the issue of blocking
"illegal" p2p applications seems to be coming up repeatedly. It was
discussed widely at the recent I2 conference in Austin, Texas. I would just
recommend that before any p2p blocking is done for the stated purpose of
stopping illegal file-sharing activities that you consult legal counsel who
is familiar with the safe harbor provisions of DMCA. If you block all p2p
with the stated purpose that you simply don't  support the protocol, you
might be ok. However, if you try to control "illegal" p2p activities, you
might be at risk of losing your safe harbor cover if it is shown that you
miss some of the activities. Many legal interpretations seem to be that
being "hands off" and responding aggressively to complaints is much better
that attempting to control the situation, not being totally effective and
possibly incurring liability as a result.

      Greg

Gregory A. Seibert, CISM
Director of Security and Compliance
Suite 384 Library
Kent State University
www.security.kent.edu
330-672-0383 (Voice)
330-672-9374 (FAX)

                      "Jefferson, Ronnie

                      V."                          To:       SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU

                      <RVJefferson@ST-AUG.E        cc:

                      DU>                          Subject:  [SECURITY] FW: Q1 Labs: Network Security for Colleges and
Universities
                      Sent by: The EDUCAUSE

                      Security Discussion

                      Group Listserv

                      <SECURITY () LISTSERV ED

                      UCAUSE.EDU>

                      10/05/2004 10:28 AM

                      Please respond to The

                      EDUCAUSE Security

                      Discussion Group

                      Listserv

Has anyone using the application listed below and if so.....has it
performed the way you intended in terms of protecting your network against
peer to peer file sharing, shutting down illegal servers etc.?