Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IRC, IM Proxy Implementations

From: Herrera Reyna Omar <omar_herrera () BANXICO ORG MX>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:24:08 -0500

nmap with the --packet_trace option should provide even more detailed
information. It is one of the most useful debugging options that have
been added to nmap. Unfortunately, it is only available on nmap versions
3.50 and later (it shows every packet sent and received that is related
with the portscan, so be advised that the output could be very long).

Also, I highly recommend the new version 3.70, the scanning engine has
been completely rewritten using faster algorithms and the speed
improvements is huge. In some tests I did 3.70 was more than 4 times
faster than 3.55 (improvements have nothing to do with -T option but
rather with parallelization).

Regards,

Omar Herrera

-----
From: Mark Wilson

I assume you mean lower case v (-v).  Anyway, here it is:
[root@willma root]# nmap -v -p 1-65535 131.204.x.x

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
No tcp,udp, or ICMP scantype specified, assuming SYN Stealth scan. Use
-sP if you really don't want to portscan (and just want to see what
hosts are up).