Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: Checklist for securing Windows XP systems

From: "Weeks, Calvin W." <cweeks () OU EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:33:03 -0500

We have used the NIST and the NSA guides over the past four years at the
University of Oklahoma and have found them to be very valuable to our
security efforts. We spent some time working with our public access
areas, labs, residential housing, and research community and have put
together a script that will automatically apply the NIST recommendations
to workstations. This version is our public version that we distribute
too our non-university owned workstations and you are welcome to use as
you wish:

http://security.ou.edu/distribution/OU_BP_Security_Scripts_2.exe

Hash Value:  bca4ef56f26e1e44d6082ab7416dfb7b

Please, test on a non production machine before using and pay attention
to comments when you run the script. This can be applied to Win 2000
Pro/Server, Win XP, and Win 2003; however we have found that you should
always apply the security settings manually on servers and we only use
this script for workstations. We are working on customizing scripts that
will work for servers, but you have to make a script for each type of
server that you have (i.e., webserver, file/print server, Domain
controller, DNS, DHCP, etc.)

If you of you have any questions you may contact myself or Jason Britton
(fulco () ou edu) and please, give us feedback for improvements to the
script.

Calvin Weeks, EnCE, CISSP, CISM

Director, OU Cyber Forensics Lab

University of Oklahoma