Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless sniffer

From: Jeff Bollinger <jeff01 () EMAIL UNC EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:39:32 -0400

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Slade Griffin wrote:

Ariel,

            I personally feel that Kismet is a pretty steep learning curve
and also requires tons of configuration depending on your Wi-Fi card.
Ethereal is free and incredibly powerful, being able to translate raw
protocols in multiple and to also single out individual streams after the
sniffing is complete.

Slade Griffin, GCIH

Using all of Kismet's features may be somewaht difficult, but I've found
the easiest way to sniff WiFi traffic with Kismet (assuming you're using
the right NIC driver, kernel, and got Kismet installed properly) is to
jump dump all the frames on the channel you want to sniff on, and it
automatically saves to a file (in /tmp by default.) You can then use
Ethereal to load the capture file and view all the traffic you sniffed.

Jeff

Jeff Bollinger, CISSP
University of North Carolina
IT Security Analyst