Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [VulnWatch] TCP reset vulnerability

From: "Christopher E. Cramer" <chris.cramer () DUKE EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:37:01 -0400

as i read it, there are two specific things to note:

* since the SEQ # for the RST must be within the TCP window and tcp
windows can be as large as 2^16 bytes, the probability of sending a
valid RST (assuming you know the src/dst ip and port) is not 1 in 2^32,
but instead as large as 1 in (2^32 / 2^16) or 1 in 2^16

* that's still pretty small, but for long running, predictable
connections (e.g. BGP) it could mean that (on average) one could send as
few as 2^15 RSTs before expecting the connection to be torn down.

other issues mentioned, like data insertion, are much less likely
because in order to insert data at a precise point, one would need to
know the exact SEQ numbers and would have the original 1 in 2^32
problem.

that's how i read it.  anyone else see anything more worrisome?

thanks
-c