Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

SafeTP vs. other encryption applications

From: "Mayne, Jim" <J.Mayne () TCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:32:35 -0600

One of our departments is setting up a secure file transfer with an
outside vendor. The vendor wants us to use the SafeTP product from
Berkeley (http://safetp.cs.berkeley.edu/). I have only used PGP for
these types of applications in the past. I see that SafeTP is more
transparent possibly but does anyone have any other comments on the
advantages or disadvantages of SafeTP vs. PGP of other secure file
transfer methods? Also the home page does not mention Windows XP. Is
this program still being updated and supported?

Thanks,

Jim Mayne
Network Security Engineer
Texas Christian University