Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Computer lab security

From: Michael_Maloney <Michael_Maloney () MIDDLESEXCC EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:46:18 -0500

The great thing about Deep Freeze is it does a great job at rebooting the PC
back to the configuration it was when it was locked down..

The bad thing is you can't automatically update Anti-Virus definitions or do
remote or automatic patch installations.  Once the PC reboots, any updated
def's or patches are erased.  This played havoc when we got Welchia in the
labs, as soon as Welchia patched the system and caused it to reboot, it
would get reinfected again at restart..

We use  Deep Freeze and Fortres here. It works out pretty good for us, some
students have figured out how to bypass Fortres and Deep Freeze but for the
most part they do a really good job.  Fortres won't work in your scenario,
last I checked, logging in as administrator disables it.

Mike

Mike Maloney
Sr. System Engineer
Middlesex County College
2600 Woodbridge Avenue
Edison, NJ 08818
Phone: 732-906-7754
Cell: 908-217-2086
Fax: 732-906-4266
Email: Michael_Maloney () middlesexcc edu