Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Computer lab security

From: Scott Weeks <sweeks () SANDIEGO EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:34:53 -0800

:  We have been having rather severe problems in our open computer labs
:  with the recent spate of viruses/worms.  The lab folks use a combination
:  of Ghost and DeepFreeze.  They also allow each user to be a local
:  administrator on PCs running a mixture of Windows2000 and XP!
:
:  What are others doing to lock down their computer labs?

Driveshield:  http://www.codework.com/driveshield/

From the page:

   DriveShield is a software solution that  allows  a system to reset  its
   original configuration with a simple reboot, no matter what changes
   users have made including erasing files, installing software and
   altering settings.  DriveShield is designed to protect  computers used
   by multiple users ( e.g in schools, libraries and businesses) from
   undesirable changes.  Remote administration feature allows computer
   protection to be enabled/disabled via the network controller.

Gets rid of all virii, worms and other undesirables on reboot.   Set it to
reboot daily or whatever.

scott

:  We have been having rather severe problems in our open computer labs
:  with the recent spate of viruses/worms.  The lab folks use a combination
:  of Ghost and DeepFreeze.  They also allow each user to be a local
:  administrator on PCs running a mixture of Windows2000 and XP!
:
:  What are others doing to lock down their computer labs?
:
:  thanks,
:
:  ted
:
:
:
:  --
:       Ted Frohling (TF30-ARIN)                   The University of Arizona
:       520.621.4834              Assistant Director           CCIT Room 126
:       tsf-at-Arizona.EDU      CCIT - Network Services        PO Box 210073
:       www.Telcom.Arizona.EDU/tsf                     Tucson, AZ 85721-0073
:
:  Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/cg/.
: