Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spyware defense trick

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 13:57:09 -0500

Perhaps, then, a combination of measures:  A DNS blacklist, and a
border IP block (or, just a border block for both)?

It's the campus appetite (or tolerance) for such a measure that I'm
concerned about, and curious if others had broached.  Though we may
assure that it's not censorship (we'd only block sites that could be
vetted as unwanted), it also has the potential to be controversial.

When the user community clamors for some central relief from spyware,
is this defensive measure a viable offering to them.

Niedens, Travis wrote:

I have thought about doing this, however, I have noticed that some Spyware
products like HotBar just use the IP address vs. a name.

Travis