Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spyware defense trick

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:04:07 -0700

Out of curiousity, do you/your university consider spyware a minor
nuisance that your users need to deal with or something more serious
that should be dealt with at an institutional level? A recent article in
one of the trade papers said that institutions worried about privacy
directives are concerned and looking for ways to actively address
spyware. I've wondered for sometime if HIPAA should induce some action
on our part. It seems like, in theory some of these agents could expose
protected health information (PHI) although I know of no cases where
this has happened, so I do not think we have a validated threat.

Thanks

Travis_Niedens () REDLANDS EDU 5/4/2004 10:50:25 AM >>>
I have thought about doing this, however, I have noticed that some
Spyware
products like HotBar just use the IP address vs. a name.

Travis