Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Virus / Network issue mitigation methods

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 06:49:25 -0500

Niedens, Travis wrote:

All,

Below I have a survey comprised of yes/no questions that cover different
methods that our institution has discussed to avoid the issue we saw last
fall with Blaster.  I would appreciate that if you choose to respond that
you respond directly to me.  I am more than willing to compile percentages
per question and release them to the group in the interest of others
learning from this survey.  I will not publish any specifics mentioned to
insure confidentiality and security.  I would really your response.

All questions are yes/no.  If you answer yes, please specify if you do not
mind.

1.  Does your institution require student users to register their computers
before gaining network access?

Yes.

2.  Does your institution require student users to connect to a domain if
Windows is used?

No.

3.  Does your institution require a specific version of Windows for network
access and support?

Any version supported by Microsoft. (ie. not 95, etc)

4.  Does your institution provide student users with Anti-Virus software and
updates for that software?

Yes.  Yes.

5.  Does your institution provide student users with Operating System
updates?

No - we provide advice on self-updating, however. (e.g.
windowsupdate.microsoft.com, enabling auto-update/install, etc).

6.  Does your institution use a dynamic network registration system to allow
users to connect to the network?

Yes.