Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:52:21 -0500

I always browse the year in review types of things from the major
vendors.  I look for balance, and/or insight.  This year I liked
Clearswift's.

"2003 was a quite extraordinary year in the malware world. Three major
developments went largely unrecognised:

*         the emergence of long-term malware projects, involving
multi-stage attacks using spam, worms, trojans, spyware and proxies

*         a clear switch in motivation - no longer intellectual
challenge or simple-minded cyber-vandalism, but financial gain became
the primary motive

*           the emergence of a covert peer-to-peer malware network." (1)

 (1) ThreatLab 2003 Retrospective: The Year the Mafia Moved In, (January
2004) Retrieved Jan 12, 2004, Clearswift website:
http://www.clearswift.com/support/threatlab/resources/ThreatLabRetro2003
_US.pdf

Jim