Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Future Impact of Viruses on Internet

From: Scott Weeks <sweeks () SANDIEGO EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:35:43 -0800

Thanks for the response!

scott

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Jim Moore wrote:

:  As I said "I look for balance, and/or insight."  They seemed to put into
:  perspective some of the shifts in threats.  I do admit that they also
:  have the objective of selling more products.  With most vendors, some
:  digging is required.  I would like it a bit more balanced as well.
:
:  On the surface, there are 3 trends from recent viruses and worms that
:  concern me.
:
:  - I am very disturbed by the keyloggers worms are dropping that search
:  for financial strings and then phone home.
:  - I am equally concerned with the more recent trend in malware that the
:  has capability to disable security software or block updates.
:  - I know with the RPC worms there was a variable payload worm kit
:  available, Blaster made the news, but Stealther was a bigger concern to
:  me.
:
:  I also have a friend that tracks information warfare, who I rely on to
:  sort out hype in that field.  People who really work in the area, are
:  concerned about attacks on the Internet infrastructure, but also work
:  from an Operations Security framework, and have had discussions about
:  the threats that are aimed at economic advantage, either from research
:  stealing, or from process destabilization.
:
:  I am evolving from the threat/vulnerability model to a
:  threat/adversary/vulnerability model.
:
:  Jim
:
: