Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Sniffer notification

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:47:42 -0500

Good Folks,
A quick question on policy documents, if you will.

We're about to diagnose some networking issues here with rather
aggressive use of Sniffer on student ports. We've always considered this
to be pretty intrusive, and not to be done without notifying the users
involved that we would be listening in. But we don't have written
policies concerning this action, beyond the general statement that we
(1) respect users privacy but (2) reserve the right to sniff should the
need strike us.

Anyone have a quick link to policies and notification documents to be
sent to the user that I might have a look at and/or steal outright? I
worry that there's something I might overlook in the process.

Thanks in advance!
--
--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
 www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com

  "Borrow money from pessimists--they don't expect it back."