Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking P2P

From: "Sauvigne, Craig M" <sauvignec () WINTHROP EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:21:04 -0500

Here at Winthrop University, we do not block it but we do have it
throttled so far back that it is just about unusable. We do receive
complaints from students wanting to be able to use Kazaa or whatever p2p
they want to use. We just inform the students that we have decreased the
bandwidth that those programs can use and also inform them of the legal
ramifications of what they may do. Most of the students don't like it
but understand it.

However, I had a discussion with one student who said that it must be
legal to download any music because "everyone does it" and "it is so
easy to do". I told him it was illegal to download material that is not
specifically made available by the copyright holder. He then said he
would not use p2p anymore and just copy his friend's CDs since that must
be legal since CD burners are so common.

Sometimes I wonder about some people who make it into college.

Craig