Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking P2P

From: Lance Jordan <lancejor () RCI RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:31:00 -0500

Steve

We don't block P2P.  Our network operations staff use an accounting
methodology (analysis of Netflow data) to measure upload and download to
the Internet from all systems, not just Resnet.  Notices go out to users
on a daily basis when the threshold is crossed.  (The Net Ops staff
maintain an exception list for the known "Top Talkers" to filter out
legitimate traffic) There are penalties for non legit traffic.  The
accounting model was a lot cleaner than a content management model.

Also, a little more than two years ago RU moved Resnet addresses into
private address space.    Although the primary reason was not security,
we have enjoyed some benefit from the Internet not being able to
establish connections directly to student machines.

regards

Steven R. Smith wrote:

Greetings.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been addressed.  I'm
wondering what other Universities are doing regarding P2P traffic on
their student internet connections.  We currently do not block P2P, we
only throttle back bandwidth.  Accordingly, we get a steady flow of
copyright infringement notifications under the DMCA.  We're discussing
blocking all P2P traffic.  Is anyone else doing that, or what are you
doing, if anything, about P2P?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

--

Lance D. Jordan

Director, Information Protection & Security

Rutgers University Computing Services

(Voice) 732-445-8138           (Fax) 732-445-8023