Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: More specifics ... adult p*o*r*n

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () MAIL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:38:51 -0600

Theresa,

I think we need to be very careful about our terminology here. As I, a
non-lawyer, understand this:

* Child pornography is illegal unconditionally, and it's quite well defined
* Obscenity is illegal, though its definition depends on community
standards and particular judges' opinions
* Adult pornography is not illegal, although it may violate university policies

Given the likelihood of confusion in these legal definitions, to say
nothing of varying "community" and individual standards, I doubt that
sexually-explicit content on our networks will ever be considered "run of
the mill."

Regards,
Dan