Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Cisco Security Agent Webinar

From: Dan Glass <djglass () UNT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:04:28 -0500

I sat through a Cisco sales pitch of the Agent a few weeks ago and was
somewhat impressed with it's ability to stop buffer overflows, writing
to the system/system32 directory, and other assorted nasty behavior.
The software is behavior-based and features pre-configured 'profiles'
that can then be modified to suit the system administrators needs. On
the downside, you can expect a 3% hit to your resources.
I have a demo copy sitting on my desk but have not had the chance to run
it through its paces yet, so I do not know how well it does under *real*
pressure, or how it interoperates with various applications. However,
from what I have seen, behavior-based agents may be the next 'big' thing
in information security.

--
Dan Glass, MS
Information Security