Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: E-mail billing

From: Theresa M Rowe <rowe () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:47:35 -0400

We decided against emailing the actual bill.  Instead, we
email a notice that the bill is ready; the notice directs the
student to a bill presentment system (we purchased from
Touchnet).  We believe email is like an "Internet postcard"
and that the information in a bill is just too student
specific to email.

The bill notice is mailed to the official university email
address.  The bill notice is mailed monthly and replaces our
paper bills, which we are no longer printing due to costs.

All of our literature states that a student is responsible
for bill payment, even if the bill is lost in the snail-
mail.  So when we went to email, we just added the "even if
not accessible" kind of language.

Theresa Rowe
Assistant Vice President
University Technology Services