Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletins

From: Michael Halm <Michael.Halm () CCMAIL NEVADA EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:27:19 -0700

Here we send out an e-mail alert on patches we consider critical to
network security. We send out a second notice a week later. 10 days more
or less (depending on whether an exploit is in the wild) we put up a
redirect server on outgoing port 80. We scan every half hour and create a
list of unpatched hosts. When the users of these hosts try to go to a web
page, they are redirected to our page that explains the importance of the
patch and has a link to instructions and download for the patch. At first,
we give them an option to click through the page and continue to surf.
After a few days, they cannot click through until five or ten minutes have
elapsed. After a few more days, an hour. And finally, they cannot get www
access out until they patch. This method usually gets all but a few dozen
to patch. Those few dozen we hunt down.

Michael Halm
Network Operations Center
University of Nevada Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas Nv  89154
702-895-0726

"Walsh, Brian R. (Information Services)" <brwal () CONNCOLL EDU>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
10/15/2003 02:14 PM
Please respond to The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv