Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Microsoft Security Bulletins

From: "Walsh, Brian R. (Information Services)" <brwal () CONNCOLL EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:14:22 -0400

Microsoft has just sent out two "Security Bulletin Summaries". One for Exchange Server and one for Windows (although
they messed up the subject on the second one). They also included a link in both messages that doesn't work. Otherwise
these messages look legit. It looks like this is one of the ways they are trying to be more responsive to newly
identified security vulnerabilities.

The Windows updates are being handled here by Software Update Server but we are struggling with how to communicate the
importance of installing critical updates to students. How are you dealing with this?

I also noticed that MS now has a free support line for security patches 1-866-PCSAFETY. Has anyone used this? Is this
somethging we should pass along to students?

Brian Walsh
Information Security Officer
Connecticut College