Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guidelines for Deans

From: Lance Jordan <lancejor () RCI RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:39:49 -0500

Herb

You could take a look at what we have at this URL

http://rusecure.rutgers.edu/people/deans_n_dir.php

We used multiple information sources, but our target audience is the
same group you mention in your email message.

regards

Lance

Herbert Baines III wrote:

Good afternoon,

We are in the process of drafting a "short" information security
guideline document for our Deans and I want to solicit information
from this community on the subject.  The guidelines are to be at a
high level, yet meaningful - what should the Deans do to ensure a
secure environment, - what guidance should they give to the school
Chairs, - how can they achieve security goals.......what are the
appropriate management controls (in an open architecture with a lot of
school-level autonomy...?  We have existing policies and procedures
that were approved in our top-level policy (below) and of course we
review information from Educause, NIST and other security
organizations (see below), but condensing all that information into a
single (short) todo document for the Deans is a challenge.  Any
pointers or assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.security.gatech.edu/policy/general_measures.html
http://www.security.gatech.edu/policy/usage/policy.html#6.5
http://www.security.gatech.edu/architecture/system_administration/
http://www.cisecurity.org/
<http://www.nist.gov/cgi-bin/exit_nist.cgi?url=http://www.cisecurity.org/>

http://csrc.nist.gov/
http://www.educause.edu/security/

Best regards,

-Herb
Herbert Baines, CISSP, CISA
Director, Information Security
Office of Information Technology
Georgia Tech
Atlanta, GA 30332********** Participation and subscription information
for this EDUCAUSE Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

--

Lance D. Jordan

Director, Information Protection & Security

Rutgers University Computing Services

(Voice) 732-445-8138           (Fax) 732-445-8023