Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Questions Regarding FTC's Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

From: Nick Lewis <lewisnic () INTERNET2 EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:52:31 -0500

To respond to question 2, I have used DBAN, Autoclave, and Wipe
successfully in the past to sanitize hard drives. I have only used
them on PC's, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work if you
took the hard drive out of a mac and put it in a PC to erase it. They all
do slightly different things, so one may meet your needs and are free.

DBAN can be found at: http://dban.sourceforge.net/
Autoclave: http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/
WIPE: http://wipe.sourceforge.net/

Basically for DBAN and Autoclave, you boot off of the bootable floppy and
then walk through a couple menus/options, and then wait for it to
sanitize the drive. For wipe, it's a stand alone utility that can delete
individual files or partitions or drives.

Nick.