Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Size of IT Security Department

From: Alex Campoe <campoe () USF EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:19:52 -0400

Hello folks

I am watching the discussions on Residence Halls and a question came to
mind. How many people are usually working in your security department?

We have about 3,000 students in our Residence Halls, 16,000 active
machines during the day, and 6,600 faculty/staff on campus. Being
proactive in terms of training, burning CDs, etc, is almost out of the
question since we have a total of 40 hours full time and 40 hours part
time invested on security. Surprisingly enough, we managed to do a
pretty good job containing everything that hit us during the past weeks,
 at the expense of some VERY long work days.

I am about do a presentation to high level University officers on the
state of campus security and would like to make some comparissons.

Thanks

Alex