Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ICMP on Abilene - Welchia/Nachi

From: Peter Charbonneau <Peter.Charbonneau () WILLIAMS EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:42:45 -0400

I would like to send a heart-felt thanks to Doug et al. for this message.
I found the ACL "fixes" for these worms on Cisco's site, but one of my
border routers was running at 100% CPU (IP Input) UNTIL I used the info
contained in the link below.  THANK YOU.  Using policy based routing
dropped my CPU load from 100% to ~45%.  I still have some work to do, but
students are happily file-sharing and my phone isn't ringing off the wall.

I can't stress enough that policy routing these 92 byte packets into the
bit-bucket is a good idea.

PeteC

Peter Charbonneau                       Williams College
Sr. Network and Systems Administrator   Office for Information Technology
Jesup Hall Room 112                     22 Lab Campus Drive
(413) 597-3408 (Phone)                  Williamstown, MA 01267
(413) 597-4103 (Fax)                    Peter.Charbonneau () williams edu