Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Imaged System Patching Strategies was Re: DShield and Symantec report MSBlast in wild

From: Michelle Mueller <muellerm () MTMARY EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:34:23 -0500

Sending this again under the new subject so interested parties don't
miss it.

We use a Software Update Services server which is basically an internal
Windows Update Server.  You need to be using Group Policies to use SUS.
It's worked great for us.  When the notice came out about the RPC
vulnerability, I pushed the critical update out to all campus computers
using this server.  We were protected by the afternoon of that day.
Here's the link to the SUS site.  And best of all, it's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A7AA96E4-6E41-4F54-972C-AE66A4E4BF6C&displaylang=en

Gary Flynn wrote:

Marty Hoag wrote:

   It isn't my area but I'd be interested in pointers to strategies
campuses use to update "imaged" systems, e.g. computer labs with
hundreds of computers which have been imaged from one source.

   I'm told some of our images are 6 GB and even using multicast take
hours to install. We normally run Deep Freeze (but they said they
are going to the Enterprise Edition if that is meaningful). They
normally only build new images a few times a year so we need to
find a way to put on the more frequent critical patches.

   If there is a list/FAQ where this is discussed that would be
helpful. I can't believe we are the only ones facing this.  ;-)

Would it be OK if we change the Subject for this thread?

I'm very interested in this topic not only for labs but
also for kiosks.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services