Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Logon Message

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:30:26 -0400

OK, now that I have made an idiot of myself (or revealed to others what
is already obvious ;-0   I will ask it in the form of a question (which
Mark has probably already answered too - i.e. no formulas, the bigger
the TEAM the better.)

Sorry Mark.

I think I was a bit irritated still with the liability language
surrounding the MS RPC patch, which sounded like it was going to do
horrible things to the machine instead of simply saying "Check to see if
you have enough disk space")

Jim

Bruhn, Mark S. wrote:
Well, setting any legal argument, absurd or not, aside should be done
after soliciting input from experienced colleagues and good sources,
which is what Steve is doing, and then only in consultation with
Counsel.  (A partnership and continuing dialogue with Counsel is
critical.  As are similar relationships with audit, police, deans of
students, HR, etc.  Many of us are still fighting the perception of the
security officer as the bad cop.)

By the way, I have seen banners that include a statement that indicates
that the absence of the same banner on other systems does not imply that
those systems have different usage and access restrictions.

And, some campuses may in fact have a real need to put their banners in
multiple languages...

--
--
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM

PGP (jimmoore () mail rit edu): 9C33 0328 CD59 B602 82B8 8521 0DC9 963C D0C0