Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Honeypots - All dried up by Super-DMCA

From: "David L. Wasley" <david.wasley () UCOP EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:50:39 -0700

I'm not a lawyer :-) but the way I read Tim Liston's article, I think it's not clear that the law prohibits
distribution or use of LaBrea (although it might provoke legal action and that is really the issue for Tim).

What Tim quotes says honeypots would be illegal "without the express consent or express authorization of the
communication service provider".  If the campus (the communications service provider) specifically approved the use of
a honeypot on its network, then it should not be a problem.

As for "to conceal or to assist another to conceal from any communication service provider or from any lawful authority
the existence or place of origin or destination of any communication" - simply make sure the logs are available to the
campus network NOC.

What am I missing?

        David
-----