Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Honeypots - All dried up by Super-DMCA

From: Pete Hoffswell <Pete.Hoffswell () DAVENPORT EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:53:02 -0400

honeypots are very very cool.  I would be weary implementing them at this time, however.

Unfortunately, because of the DMCA laws, they may be illegal.

Reference -

Tom Liston, maker of Labrea, has stopped distributing his great software due to Illinois Super-DMCA laws:
http://www.hackbusters.net/

Slashdot, etc, reports that new Michigan laws has made the development of honeyd illegal:
http://slashdot.org/articles/03/04/15/1454218.shtml?tid=153

If anyone gets council clearing them to use labrea or honeyd, I would be very interested.

- Pete

morrow.long () YALE EDU 05/01/03 21:25 PM >>>
Lance Spitzner article on how 'honeypots' can be effective tools
in the information security kit for protecting production nets
(as opposed to just research experiments for collecting data):

        http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1690

Morrow