Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FTC Regulations - Notification Question

From: Marty Hoag <Marty.Hoag () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:03:29 -0500

   The GLBA is discussed in "IT Security for Higher
Education: A Legal Perspective" prepared for the
EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Computer and Network Security Task Force.
It's available in several forms include Acrobat:

http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/CSD2746.pdf

   On page 12 the authors claim that the act "is applicable
to financial institutions, including colleges and
universities, and creates obligations to protect customer
financial information.".  Note however, the apparent
FTC regulations "deferring" to FERPA (my words - see the
text as I am not a lawyer nor an FTC expert...).

   Marty