Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FTC Regulations - Notification Question

From: Ken Shaurette <Ken.Shaurette () OMNITECHCORP COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:53:53 -0500

I would say no from what I understand.  GLBA only applies to true
Financial Institutions, Bank, Credit Union, S&L, Insurance Company.
Unless you are running a Student Credit Union a college would not fit
the definition of an organization that needs to comply with the privacy
notice requirement.

That does not mean from a "due diligence" perspective that you don't
need to keep your students informed and provide "opt in" or "opt out"
for the sharing of their information with other entities, or provide the
option of knowing who the information is shared with.

Ken
CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM
Information Security Solutions Manager
Omni Tech Corporation, www.omnitechcorp.com