Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: User Awareness Program

From: Omar Herrera <omar_herrera () BANXICO ORG MX>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:02:31 -0500

How about using posters?

A picture of a broken laptop that just fell form the hands of a student
and a message stating: “When was the last time that you made a
backup?... Accidents happen” might draw their attention. We have had
wonderful results starting with this kind of “marketing approach” for
awareness programs (not security related actually; but I’ve also seen
this working on information security awareness programs in a few
companies).

After you catch people’s attention they will start to ask questions and
read; that is my experience. Organizing some security events will help
to get people involved (“security day”, once in a year for example).

I hope this helps,

Omar Herrera

Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey,

Mexico City Campus

Information Security Topics