Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [IP] The Spread of the Sapphire/Slammer SQL Worm

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:04:49 -0500

There was a research paper which came out last summer (summer of 2002)
predicting what it called the 'Andy Warhol worm' -- one which could
propagate widely around the world via the Internet and achieve a good
breadth within 15 minutes.

There are a number of versions of the paper presented in a few forms
(I think the NANOG conference had one presentation I saw).  The last
version I believe was the version presented at USENIX Security 2002:
       "How to 0wn the Internet in Your Spare Time"
               http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/cdc.web/

Some methods of improving quick worm propagation
are discussed in the versions of the paper.

Other references to the Andy Warhol Worm paper:

  Warhol Worms: The Potential for Very Fast Internet Plagues
  "In the future, everybody will have 15 minutes of fame" -Andy Warhol. ... The MSN messenger
  worm just reported is not a "Warhol Worm", it is a topologically aware ...
  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/warhol.html - 29k - Jan. 31, 2003

  Researchers predict worm that eats the Internet in 15 minutes
  ... They called this the "Warhol worm" after artist Andy Warhol's well-known
  quote that in the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. ...
  http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/1021worm.html - 52k

  The worm that ate the Internet?
  ... minutes. They called this the Warhol worm after artist Andy Warhol's
  quote that everyone will be famous for 15 minutes. A similar ...
  http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2002/1028worm.html - 45k - Jan. 31, 2003

  ZDNet: Story: How bigger, badder Code Red worms are being built
  ... Andy Warhol is famous for saying "In the future, everybody will have 15 minutes ... proposing
  that virus writers constructing some future Code Red-like worm add a ...
  http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/ story/0,10738,2810238,00.html - 43k - Jan. 31, 2003

On UniSOG () SANS ORG Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz> had also noted that the
random IP address number generation function was not entirely random, nor did
it apparently have a good random distribution as some vulnerable SQL Server 2000 servers
at the University of New Zealand Auckland escaped apparently untouched and unscathed.

Morrow

Dan Updegrove wrote:
Colleagues -

This study supports inferences we made from our log files -- most of the
penetration damage had been done within the first 10 minutes!

Regards,
Dan