Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Help needed for 2nd- DRP survey

From: Marty Hoag <Marty.Hoag () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:59:53 -0600

Ruben Z Xing wrote:
Hi Everyone,

It was very grateful of getting helpful info from many of you. Once
again, to further complete our project, I would like to get other info
related to DRP at your school:

=======================================
1. What kind of HA (high availability) systems does your school use
   a) Cluster Computing
   b) RAID
   C) Load Balancing (local or remote)

  We actually use all of these on various systems
(some may use none, one, or several of these).

2. Does your school use
   a) remote backup
   In a way - we have our automated tape library used
to back up our servers remote from most of the servers.

   b) hot-backup
   Our clustering plans for one system involve having a
hot spare system that can take over for a failing system.
We do use disk mirroring across different buildings too
but that would be a different issue.

3. To cut down costs of your DRP, does your school recycle old
servers/systems for DRP, or switch the current DRP systems for other
purpose when there is no risk going?

   Not doing this now...

4. Any other practice to face budget challenge for your DRP?

   Everything is a budget challenge these days (we are
a state university).

Thank you and regards,

Dr. Ruben Hsing
Professor, DRP Project leader